David was appointed an Honorary member by the Board in November 2014 for leadership and outstanding contributions to Committee for Ballarat.
He served as Chair of Committee for Ballarat from August 2006 to June 2009 and was the foundation Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ballarat (1994 - 2000).
As UB VC he oversaw the amalgamation, in 1998, of the University with two TAFE Institutions, creating the only regional multi-sectorial University in Australia.
Under the leadership of Prof. James, UB played a pivotal role in the social and economic development of the region it serves. This role includes facilitation of integrated community networks, development of the Ballarat Technology Park and the Greenhill Enterprise Centre, development of community enterprise centres and co-ordination of a number of electronic commerce projects.
Former Ballarat City Councillor.
Chairman of Ballarat Foundation from 2001 to 2008.
Significant board appointments and memberships past and present include:
• Science Ventures Investments;
• Neighbourhood Cable;
• Whitehorse Consulting Pty Ltd;
• Chairman of the Ararat Community Development Committee; Western Region Enterprise Network Steering Committee.
• Member, Premier’s Knowledge, Innovation, Science and Engineering Committee;
• Member, Premier’s Task force on Communications and Multi Media;
• Member, Premier’s Western Region Forum;
• President, Volunteers for Isolated Students.
Recipient of the Centenary Medal in 2003 – An award created at the Centenary of Federation to, in the words of the Prime Minister ``recognise the achievements of a cross-section of the Australian community and to prepare for the challenges of the new century by honouring people who have contributed to Australian society or government’’.