A busy but fruitful month!
Some very pleasing news to start this June update. The Minister for Regional Development, the Hon Harriet Shing, recently announced an extension of funding to the nine Regional Community Leadership Programs, including Future Shapers, until the end of 2023.
In making the announcement, the Minister acknowledged the great support all programs had received from regional MPs, including Michaela Settle (Member for Eureka), Juliana Addison (Member for Wendouree) and Martha Haylett (Member for Ripon), and the many thousands of alumni from across the state.
Whilst we still have some challenges ahead, there are opportunities and this funding announcement provides us with the time we need to ensure Future Shapers continues into 2024 and beyond.
It has been a big month here at Committee for Ballarat. In that time
- we hosted a very successful launch of the Ballarat Energy Network
- our Executive members met with the Hon Catherine King, Federal Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government to discuss a range of priorities for Ballarat and the region.
- we made a written submission to the Senate Inquiry into Australia’s preparedness to host the Commonwealth Games, focusing on the importance of investment into key legacy projects
- the Victorian Shadow Cabinet visited Ballarat and we hosted Mr John Pesutto and his cabinet colleagues for a discussion and working lunch
- we met with the Minister for Climate Change, Energy and Resources and the State Electricity Commission, the Hon Lily D’Ambrosio, regarding our region’s energy transition including the Ballarat Energy Network.
- we made strong representation to the Minister for Commonwealth Games and Transport and Planning, the Hon Jacinta Allan, to consider the development of an Events Platform at MARS Stadium to secure rail access
- to the stadium and to service the City’s northern growth areas.
We have also completed Committee for Ballarat’s Governance review and held a Special General Meeting of members to approve changes to our Rules of association which confirmed changes to our Board structure.
And finally, we are well down the path of completing our new Strategic Plan 2023- 2026 which will be presented to members in the coming weeks.
There has been a bit on!
Thanks to all for your on-going support.
CEO, Committee for Ballarat